VISCOWAX® is a well known brand of waxes, produced at Innospec’s high pressure polymerization and wax oxidization plants in Leuna, Germany.
Used in a many applications to improve processing and end product properties, the range includes:
- PE-waxes that offer a broad range of hardness, viscosity and melting points for diverse requirements: VISCOWAX® 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 122, 123, 124, 126
- Oxidized PE-waxes for use in polar plastics, such as PVC and for use in water-based wax emulsions: VISCOWAX® 253, 252, 272, 271, 262, 261
PE-waxes provide the following properties:
- Melting temperatures
- Structure, crystallinity, melting heat
- Crystallization temperature and heat
- Melt viscosity
- Polarity, reactivity
- Chemical inertness
- Hydrophobic properties
- Film forming.
These properties enable PE-waxes to provide important functions, including:
- Lubricating – offering both internal and external lubrication due to decreased friction
- Wetting and dispersing – low viscosity enables VISCOWAX® to wet pigments or additives easily, resulting in higher dispersion quality
- Surface modifying – for improved hydrophobing, sealing, smoothness, gloss, matting, slip, anti-blocking, scratch resistance, abrasion resistance and mar resistance in coatings and printing inks
- Retention / rheology – to produce pastes for polishes or adjust rheological properties in coating formulations
- Release / parting – inert, non-sticky films formed and used as mould release agents
- Viscosity adjustment – reduction of viscosity to assist final product processing.
VISCOWAX® products are produced using polymerization, based on the relevant monomers, opposed to waxes, which are produced by a degradation process.
VISCOWAX® waxes are of consistently high quality and deliver exacting specifications and high thermal stability.